2014 came with many changes and trends. One “hot topic” in today’s digital world that keeps gaining popularity is mobility in business. One area that has not been fully addressed by IT experts in relation to mobility is: The mobile business applications for construction workers executing their jobs while on the go. I believe that mobile applications are very much needed by those that cannot always be in the office. One such industry that has many out-of-office jobs is the construction industry. Construction projects personnel can certainly benefit from the many advantages offered by the mobile technology and its applications in their day-to-day operations.
Why mobility is important in construction projects?
- Time and attendance sheets
- Excel, Word and image files through email
- Photos through SMS and email
- Questions and answers through email and SMS
- Information about compliance documents, inventory status, and much more
Web-based Construction software
- Inability to use the resources and capabilities loaded with the mobile device such as the device built-in camera
- Inability to use the application if there is no Internet connectivity!
Native mobile application for construction projects
A “native” business mobile app, when designed right, delivers a better user experience
It does not have the limitations to use any of the built-in resources of the mobile device
It is capable to store data locally on the device itself; so when the connectivity of internet is not available, the mobile app will still work. Even better, the application will still accept data entry in “offline mode” and as soon as the Internet connectivity is restored, it could “synchronize data” with the cloud to keep it always up-to-date.
What’s the best option?